David Gregory Mayhan, MEMBER
- University of Iowa School of Law, Iowa City, IA, J.D., with Honors, May 1985
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA; B.A., in Political Science and Economics, June 1982, Four-year Letterman, Varsity Football/Starter, 1982 Rose Bowl Team, Big Ten All-Academic Football Team, 1980-1981
- Mr. Mayhan was admitted to the Colorado bar in 1985 and the Minnesota bar in 1987 (now inactive). He is also admitted in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Colorado Catholic Lawyers Guild
David Gregory Mayhan has been practicing law since 1985, having earned his Juris Doctor, with honors, from the University of Iowa School of Law. His practice is concentrated in construction law, personal injury and product liability, insurance coverage law and commercial litigation. Before joining Wells, Anderson & Race, LLC in 2002 as Special Counsel, he was a senior attorney for the American Family Insurance Group in Denver, where his responsibilities included litigation and supervising outside counsel in litigation for American Family and its insureds throughout the western United States. Prior to that, Mr. Mayhan was a member of Wilson & Mayhan, LLC, which defended manufacturers in products liability litigation and represented corporations in commercial and intellectual property litigation. He is in Colorado’s Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers.
Expand Full Resume
Publications and Presentations
Director, Colorado Defense Lawyers “Boot Camp” for Young Lawyers, June 23, 2017 (a one-day intensive educational program for young lawyers covering topics from billing, civil trial practice, ethics, professionalism and time management)
Co-Presenter for Seminar titled, “Come Join the 21st Century: Latest Trial Software, presented at the Colorado Defense Lawyers Annual Meeting, July 28, 2017 in Santa Fe, New Mexico
Co-Presenter for Seminar titled, “Technology in the Courtroom”, presented at the Colorado Defense Lawyers Annual Meeting, August 2, 2013, Beaver Creek, Colorado
Panelist for Seminar titled, “Trial Success Stories: What Does (or Does Not) Work, presented at the Colorado Defense Lawyers Annual Meeting, August 2, 2013, Beaver Creek, Colorado
Mayhan, D. and Baumann, S., Chapter 23, “Technology in the Courtroom”, contained in the Colorado Courtroom Handbook for Civil Trials, Fourth Ed. (published by Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., the nonprofit arm of the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations)
Director, Colorado Defense Lawyers Trial Academy, April 20-22, 2016, Denver, Colorado (an intensive, three-day educational and mock trial program for young civil defense lawyers)
Mayhan, D.G., Latest Developments in Construction Defect Litigation – Life After CDARA I and II, Colorado Bar Association 2006 Annual Torts Update Program, Jan. 31, 2007
Mayhan, D.G., and Fennelly, P., The Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act: Ready or Not, Hear It Comes, 28 Colo. Law. 63, 1999
Mayhan, D.G., A Reasonable Fear, the trial of a political asylum case before the United States Administrative Law Court, 21 Colo. Law. 904, 1992
Wells, M.A. and Mayhan, D.G., Federal Preemption of Strict Liability Claims in Aviation Litigation, A Fresh Look, 27 Tort & Ins. L J., 693, 1992
Wells, M.A. and Mayhan, D.G., Federal Preemption in the Aircraft Design Case: A Defense Perspective, presented at the October 1991 meeting of the Aviation and Space Law Committee of the ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Washington, DC
Author, “Antitrust Standing,” 10 J. Corp. Law 463, 1985
Journal of Corporation Law, Note and Comment Editor
Mayhan, D.G., Note, Antitrust Standing Law Summary, 10 J. Corp. L. 463, 1985
Lanahan v. Chi Psi Fraternity, 175 P.3d 97 (Colo. 2008)
D.R. Horton, Inc. v. AAA Waterproofing, Inc., No. 06CA1874 (Colo. App. Oct. 9, 2008)
Lewis-DeBoer v. Mooney Aircraft Corp., 728 F. Supp. 642 (D. Colo. 1990)
Gates Rubber Co. v. Bando Chem. Indus, Inc., 167 F.R.D. 90 (D. Colo. 1996)
Gates Rubber Co. v. Bando Chem. Indus., Inc., 855 F. Supp. 330 (D. Colo. 1995)
Jarnagin v. Banker’s Life & Cas. Co., 824 P.2d 11 (Colo. App. 1991)
- Achieved defense verdicts in construction and commercial law trials and arbitrations.
- Prosecuted counterclaims related to construction defects in major utilities installation; hired 90 days before arbitration for large residential real estate development.
- Obtained summary judgment for third-party defendant in large, complex construction defect claims involving approximately $40 million in alleged repair costs and other damages.
- Successful defense of contractor involved in commercial disputes concerning zoning and construction related to commercial warehouse/office building.
- Member of trial team defending former fraternity president in high-profile wrongful death claim arising from hazing incident at the University of Colorado.
- Member of trial team prosecuting breach of contract claim and defense of business tort and Title VII discrimination claims over breach of natural gas supply contract; client obtained a judgment in excess of $700,000 at a jury trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for consumer product manufacturer in alleged electrocution case involving claims of negligence and product liability.
- Member of trial team defending major industrial parts supplier in six-week jury trial addressing alleged violation of Colorado Consumer Protection Act, negligence and product liability claims.
- Represented major local automotive and industrial parts supplier in case alleging copyright, trade secret and unfair competition claims for over $40 million in damages; litigated sanctions against opponent for destruction of evidence during litigation; extensive discovery in Japan.